C.I.T.E. Very Young Learners
What level of English do you need?
If you think you have the level required to be a competent teacher in your teaching situation, it is likely that you are at the right level for the C.I.T.E. test. For the C.I.T.E. (VYL), it is likely that your level of English will be at A2 - B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. In the Anglia Examinations suite of General English examinations this means you will be at Elementary - Intermediate level. It isn't easy to relate the level required to any General English test, however, the English required in the C.I.T.E. test is also related to knowledge of grammatical terms and functions in English, together with classroom language in English.
When and how can you take the C.I.T.E. test?
If you are interested in taking a C.I.T.E. test, then contact your local representative who will tell you how to register, and give you the time and place of the next test session most local to you. If you don't know who your local representative is, do not have one, or would like to find out more information about C.I.T.E., contact Anglia Examinations via the online enquiry form, click here.
What preparation is necessary?
To a certain extent, you must make your own judgement on this by looking at the overview of the test, test specifications and sample papers. Although your representative may be able to indicate where you can find a suitable local course or study group, there is no set course either in English or in teaching which leads to the C.I.T.E. test. However, we have compiled a list of books that we recommend you should read for your own professional development as an English teacher.
• Annamaria Pinter. 2017. Teaching Young Language Learners
• Reilly, Vanessa and Ward, Sheila. 1999. Very Young Learners – Oxford: Oxford University.
• Cameron, Lynne. 2001. Teaching Languages to Young Learners – Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
• Gail; Ellis, Jean Brewster and Denis Girard. 2002 The Primary English Teacher’s Guide
• Ioannou-Georgiou, Sophie and Pavlos Pavlou. 2003. Assessing Young Learners. Oxford: Oxford University.
• Slattery, Mary and Jane Willis. 2001. English for Primary Teachers. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
• Vale, D. and A. Feunteun. 1995. Teaching Children English. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
• David Seymour and Maria Popova. 2005 (paperback). 700 Classroom Activities